Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm a keeper!

I did it! I made it through my first week as a keeper at the New York State Zoo at Thompson Park in Watertown, NY. I hope to use this blog to let all my people back at home what I am up to up here in the tundra. I will probably blog a bit about my life, my penchant for sewing and crafts, and a whole lot about my job and experiences at the zoo.

Speaking of the zoo... In the coming days I hope to chronicle my super exciting daily routine and introduce the world outside upstate NY to the amazing animals in my care. Every day (well, Thursday through Monday) I get to hang out with 1.2.1 Roosevelt elk (1 male, 2 females, and 1 juvenile) named Aspen, Rosie, Sweet Pea, and Spite. Then there are the farm animals, 1.1 miniature donkeys named Hank and Alex, 2.0 goats named Tommy and Oreo, 1.1 Guinea Hogs named Jack and Jill, and 3.0 Alpacas named Warrior, Valiant, and RJ. I am in charge of 1.1 black bears, Roswell and Fleur, as well as a bald eagle (Duncan), a turkey vulture (Ichabod), 4 ravens, 3 barred owls, 1 barn owl, and 5 turkeys. Last but certainly not least is (my favorite...) the Canada lynx, my girl Chayne.

So that is the summary of the animals I take care of at the zoo. This particular zoo is a pretty tiny one, with only 4 full time keepers exhibiting animals native to North America, specifically New York state. Since it is so small, I get to be involved with most aspects of the zoo. I make diets and help out with cleaning and feeding of other animals. I am really excited to start doing more enrichment with the animals once I get into the routine of how things work on a day to day basis.

And that is my life up here, in a nutshell. Seriously, all I do is work and sleep. But that is okay with me, at least for now. Stay tuned, folks, for more on all these precious babies and hopefully pictures in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment